WESTBROOK, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Two families in Westbrook are homeless after the city condemned the building they were living in for a number of code violations.
Tenant Charles Needham, who is also a Westbrook firefighter, called code enforcement to complain about the buildings electrical problems. On Thursday fire inspectors found multiple safety code violations which are considered potentially life threatening. They include only two working smoke detectors, blocked entrances, exposed wiring and structural deficiencies.
City officials said the building's owner is working to get the electrical problems addressed. In the meantime, the building's 23 tenants have been relocated to local hotels. They will be placed in temporary housing until the building is brought up to code.