Mulching Potatoes | Home & Garden
After you have hilled your potatoes up a few times and you don't have any soil left in your rows to DO any more hilling it's a good idea to mulch them. If you can afford it buy a salt hay type mulch which has little to no weed seed in it. Apply a 2-3 inch layer of mulch and again it is ok to nearly cover the leaves of the plant. The mulch keeps weeds out and moisture in and also prevents sunlight from reaching any tubers that may come to the surface. If sunlight hits your exposed potatoes they will turn green and become inedible!
Upcoming Events near Westbrook
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Medications making their way into drinking water a concern for scientists.
- One person dead after police-involved shooting in Windham
- Windham school has drug discussion over dinner
- A Newton man has pleaded not guilty to playing a role in the killing of Tyler Zanco.
- The Portland Water District is now treating its water with a hi-tech UV light system.