Worst is over, but Maine rains continue | News
GRAY, Maine (AP) - The worst is over but forecasters say the rain will continue to fall in much of Maine for a few more days.
The National Weather Service says showers are expected over much of the state on Monday and flood warnings remain in effect.
The state received record-setting heavy rains over the weekend that caused minor flooding, closed roads and hampered weekend activities.
Transportation officials have closed more than half a dozen low-lying bridges in various towns as a precaution, with numerous roads also closed or impassable because of high water.
The weather service says more than 8 inches fell in Bridgton, Auburn and Bath, with more than 7 inches recorded in Portland and surrounding communities, Brunswick and other mid-coast towns.
Upcoming Events near Westbrook
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Environmentalists celebrate Clear Skies Ordinance
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.
- Crews break gas main in South Portland