Arrest made in Standish church fire | News
STANDISH, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - Police have made an arrest in the Standish fire. It is arson and police have arrested two juvenile males. Both are charged with one count each of burglary and arson.
PHOTO GALLERY: Church fire
The church, off route 114 in Standish, was destroyed by that fire. The fire broke out just after one this afternoon. By the time firefighters arrived, it had already spread to the roof and one wall had collapsed. Standish Fire Chief Brent Libby says there was no problem getting water to the fire - but it was tough getting enough volunteer firefighters out here.
Some fire spread to nearby woods, but that was contained quickly.
The church meets on Sundays and has a very small congregation, but church members say their minister was working hard to grow it.
There is no word on a cause. There is a lot of damage to sift through.
The fire marshal's office is here because it is a church fire.
Upcoming Events near Westbrook
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- One person dead after police-involved shooting in Windham
- Windham school has drug discussion over dinner
- A Newton man has pleaded not guilty to playing a role in the killing of Tyler Zanco.
- The Portland Water District is now treating its water with a hi-tech UV light system.
- Accident causes traffic on Route 35