Westbrook fire caused by child with lighter | News
WESTBROOK, Maine (NBC) -The Westbrook fire chief says a fire that destroyed an apartment building on Main Street was started by a child with a lighter.
Firefighters from several towns were called to 683 Main street a little after nine last night. Heavy smoke was pouring from the two and a half story building and the fire quickly built itself up to three alarms.
Firefighters inside were forced to evacuate due to dangerous conditions. One person was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation but is now doing fine. All three apartments in the complex were destroyed.
Upcoming Events near Westbrook
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Medications making their way into drinking water a concern for scientists.
- One person dead after police-involved shooting in Windham
- Windham school has drug discussion over dinner
- A Newton man has pleaded not guilty to playing a role in the killing of Tyler Zanco.
- The Portland Water District is now treating its water with a hi-tech UV light system.
- South Portland police arrest N.Y. man on forgery charges
- Clean Water Bond could correct mistakes by investing in water quality improvements.
- Million Meals Maine feeds starving children
- A car struck a pedestrian in Scarborough
- The closure of a small section of Higgins Beach has ruffled some feathers in Scarborough.