Westbrook fire caused by child with lighter | News
WESTBROOK, Maine (NBC) -The Westbrook fire chief says a fire that destroyed an apartment building on Main Street was started by a child with a lighter.
Firefighters from several towns were called to 683 Main street a little after nine last night. Heavy smoke was pouring from the two and a half story building and the fire quickly built itself up to three alarms.
Firefighters inside were forced to evacuate due to dangerous conditions. One person was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation but is now doing fine. All three apartments in the complex were destroyed.
Upcoming Events near Westbrook
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Financial gift to help Maine farmers flourish
- Environmentalists celebrate Clear Skies Ordinance
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.