3 escape unharmed from Standish cabin fire | News
STANDISH, Maine (AP) - Fire officials say three people house sitting at a winterized lakeside cabin in Standish escaped unharmed following a fire that started in a kitchen stove.
The fire in the home on Watchic Lake was reported just after 4 p.m. Wednesday.
The owner was not in the home at the time.
Fire Chief Brent Libby says firefighting crews had difficulty reaching the home because it was about 500 feet from the nearest driveway, the snowstorm and road conditions.
He says water also had to be trucked to the location, with hoses being run through a garage and down a hill to reach the scene.
Eight nearby departments provided mutual aid.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Upcoming Events near Westbrook
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Medications making their way into drinking water a concern for scientists.
- One person dead after police-involved shooting in Windham
- Windham school has drug discussion over dinner
- A Newton man has pleaded not guilty to playing a role in the killing of Tyler Zanco.
- The Portland Water District is now treating its water with a hi-tech UV light system.
- South Portland police arrest N.Y. man on forgery charges
- Clean Water Bond could correct mistakes by investing in water quality improvements.
- Million Meals Maine feeds starving children
- A car struck a pedestrian in Scarborough
- The closure of a small section of Higgins Beach has ruffled some feathers in Scarborough.