Mass. State Police arrest wanted fugitive in Maine | News
GORHAM, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - Massachusetts State Police have arrested a man in Maine they say has been on their most wanted list since 1978.
Gary Alan Irving was arrested Wednesday night at his South Street home in Gorham, Maine after officials say he has been on the run for decades. They say he has been on the top of the Mass State Police "Most Wanted Sex Offenders" list for years.
Police say in 1978, Gary Alan Irving was convicted on three counts of rape with force, unnatural acts, and kidnapping. He was allowed to to return home to make final arrangements before his sentencing, and never returned.
Maine State Police, Gorham police and the FBI all assisted Mass State Police in the arrest.
Upcoming Events near Westbrook
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Medications making their way into drinking water a concern for scientists.
- One person dead after police-involved shooting in Windham
- Windham school has drug discussion over dinner
- A Newton man has pleaded not guilty to playing a role in the killing of Tyler Zanco.
- The Portland Water District is now treating its water with a hi-tech UV light system.
- South Portland police arrest N.Y. man on forgery charges
- Clean Water Bond could correct mistakes by investing in water quality improvements.
- Million Meals Maine feeds starving children
- A car struck a pedestrian in Scarborough
- The closure of a small section of Higgins Beach has ruffled some feathers in Scarborough.